Monday, March 30, 2009

Swagger* gone awry (case in point #1)

So my best friend came to visit me this weekend. Unfortunately I could take off from bartending (and secretly I didn't want to because the money is so good), so I brought her to work with me. She had a great time.

After a long night of (Me) slangin drinks we were starving, so we decided to go to the Diner and grab a bite to eat...(Thank GOD that place never closes.)

However, shortly after we were seated a gentleman by the name of Jamal** approached our table. He asked us if we minded if him and his 5 friends sat at a table next to ours... I mean, it a free country, so we didn't mind. But then he sits down, and no friends appear...my bff and I look at each other quizzically, then understand: We don't know from whence he came, but he has just fed us a line. We are unimpressed, but he keeps talking.

Our waitress comes to take our order, we are unready so we order juice....so does he. I HOPE he doesn't think I will pay for it, cuz homie don't play dat! I then realize I left my carmex(tm) at work, and I desperately need to go back and get it, but I did not want to leave my visiting friend with this fool...he just may try to eat her alive. So I send her to fetch my things.

By this time he has sat down next to us (read:me)...has put up his feet in the chair directly across from me, and has perched himself in my personal space. I give him one of "the looks" but I humor him because he has not been disrespectful. He introduces himself and I do the same. He asks me what is the most interesting thing about me. I'm impressed, and I tell him so; it's probably the most interesting question any "potential" suitor has asked me and we're not even on a date. After I complement him and begin racking my brain for an answer, he announces to me that yea, he already demonstrated his swagger* by sitting down with us and putting up his feet [marking territory? I'm trying to understand, lol], you know because he's so swaggertastic he can do pretty much whatever he wants, his swagger will carry him to new heights, but now it was time to show me he was intelligent.

I'm not sure how asking a unique, question makes one automatically intelligent, but it was too early in the morning to send him through the crucible so I focus on my answer.

I tell him that I would probably say my life experiences are what make me mist interesting [not a GREAT answer I know, but it's the feedback I get from friends]. But then I ask him the same, and he didn't really have an answer.... how do you ask a personal question that you don't have an answer for? hmmn Maybe it's just me...... or maybe I was to assume his "swagger"* was what made him interesting...

...And now for my point
1) Swagger in its purest form is not something that needs nor should be announced. If you have to say it, you don't got it. It is something you might just know you possess, and its confirmed or felt by others.
i.e. Sexy, older, bald black man on the metro in a suit the other day. He never once looked my way, he probably never even saw me but I couldn't help blushing and looking away as I was overcome by his aura. It wasn't cocky, assuming, or sexual. It was just there. I felt it. It works. And it dominated me and my thoughts for the rest of the day. Take notes fellas.

2) I'm sure there is another point in here somewhere, but I was distracted by Bill O'Reilly so I forgot.

*again--Can we please boycott the use of this word? It's been commandeered and loosely redefined by "mainstream" media, and while it is descriptive, it has lost much of it's usefulness since everything can now be described as "swagger". It was used shamelessly in this post in hopes that you would be just as annoyed by it's constant usage.

**Name left unchanged so that Brothas named Jamal everywhere may learn from this man's mistake.

No comments: